CM Home Forums CrossMember Features you want developed Relating Members and Vehicles

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 5 months ago by Gene Maxwell ( Series 2 Club).
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Conan Lewis

Members come and go, our classic vehicles are the backbone of the Club. Is your database a relational one, meaning cars are related to Members and vice versa. We would like to be able to create reports showing the ownership of a vehicle (Club members of course, not DVLA). We often get enquiries from new members/owners asking if we can share details of previous member/owners so that they can research gaps in the car’s history. It is important in the vehicle register to be able to keep a history log of owner and work done on it and to be able to attach time-stamped photos.

wwwebbers
    Keymaster

Hello Conan,
    Thank you for taking the time to look around Crossmember and raising your question, it’s a good question to ask. I can understand the importance of such a request for your club.

Yes, the database is MySQL and is therefore a relational database. Members, vehicles, owners, vehicle details etc all have their own table enabling history to be gathered. So, yes, this means that you can track the ownership of a vehicle throughout time. At this point in time, I haven’t built the functionality to upload photographs of vehicles, but it is something that I’m very aware of and will look into for the future. Once Crossmember is officially launched, I’ll put a programme together for what changes will be introduced to the system and when they will be planned to go live and post it on this forum so that we all have something to look forward to.

I’ve had a similar but different request from the Series 2 Landrover Owners Club who would like the vehicles register accessible to all members (via the members login of course) so that members who find a vehicle very similar to their own can contact the other member if they wish to discuss similarities, what goes where etc that may be peculiar to that particular age of vehicle. I think this is a superb idea and brings us back to the original reason that car clubs were established in the first place. Back in the time when there were so many different changes being made to vehicles that they were different from one year to the next and creating a register to enable owner contact was very important. I will be implementing the suggestion from the S2LRC and at the same time adhering to data protection by acting as the conduit for connecting members together. No personal/contact data will be shared unless both parties agree to it with each other.

The one proviso that I will put on your suggestion is GDPR – The new data protection regulation that is coming in to effect next year. As part of the regulation, an old member (or perhaps one who has decided to leave) has the right to request to ‘be forgotten’ at which point their information will need to be deleted. Of course the numer of people who would actually request this would be extremely small. In our world of classic car ownership we are always ‘too happy to help’ and the chances are slim – however it’s functionality that must be built into the system.

Once again, thank you for your interest and if you have any other comments, please do let us know.

Brian.

Gene Maxwell ( Series 2 Club)

Good news on progress Brian. By coincidence a new thread on exactly this subject has just started on our Forum, with members pressing us to get a Database up and running.

Gene

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.